Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What is the meaning of life?


This is a picture of my friend Bianca and me heading out to climb in Red Rocks, Nevada, a couple years ago. She is currently on an amazing personal adventure in Europe and sent this picture back. The message is so profound yet so simple, and answers that big question I sure we've all asked ourselves at one time or another: "what is the meaning of life?"

I've attempted a good ole fashioned "soul search" on many an occasion. Sometimes there is an "aha!" moment when the world becomes translucent and in that instant it all makes beautiful, inspirational sense. As I've grown up and formed more and more opinions about people and the universe, those "aha!" moments became more and more elusive. Perhaps this is a part of being an adult and losing the magic that kids seem to see so easily. It is when you grow up and realize that Santa and the Easter Bunny don't exist, and that you're not going to be an astronaut or a superhero in your lifetime. It is when you accept that your journey of life is going to be a similar, more modest (due to current economic states and housing prices), version that your parents had.

It can be depressing to think about it. If you've ever let yourself believe that what you are doing now in life is the best it's going to get, then you're sabotaging what it could be. I've been struggling with my self-talk in absurd amounts recently as I'm still battling the problems in my pelvis and back, and the uncertainty of my (hopefully) future career. I can honestly testify that having and injury or an illness that prevents you from seeing hope in doing the things you love to do, that bring you joy and inspiration, and lift you up when you fall down, is the hardest obstacle to overcome. I crave running through a shady forest on a hot, sunny day, climbing a mountain to see the view, dancing without limitations in my room to loud music, and playing a game of catch on an empty field. I can't do any of these right now and it brings me to my knees. I feel trapped in a prison and only half living.

But I'm not the only one with problems, and feeling lousy really sucks. Focusing on the negative of what I can't do is turning me into someone I loath to be with, but unfortunately I am stuck with me. Back when I was 17 years old, I was pretty sure I had "found" myself and knew who I was. I seem to remember thinking I was smart and strong and capable. Now at 27 years old I realize that those traits don't really belong to us, they are merely what we want to be. And the fears and limitations we put on ourselves determine whether or not we possess those qualities we desire. If you want to be strong, choose to be strong. If you want to be smart, choose to be smart and take the appropriate actions towards it. All the obstacles in your way a week, a month, a year down the road looks impossible now. So take it one day at a time. Focus on what you can do today to move forward and be proud you're not standing still. Most importantly, have faith you can do it.

"Fear knocked at the door.
Faith answered.
No one was there."
-Unknown

My old martial arts instructor had a saying: "whatever you can conceive and believe, you can achieve." The hardest part is believing. Because I can't do the things I love to do now, the logical step is try to love the things I can do. I looked back into my memory banks and realized that there were in fact, many things that I thought about trying but gave the backseat to. Maybe it's time to let those ideas drive for a while. A change of scenery is never a bad thing, right? Maybe I'll learn a new language or a new instrument. Maybe I'll learn new cooking skills or start a book club. Maybe I'll do all of those things and more. Most importantly I am going to learn about my injury and devote my time and energy every day to take steps toward bettering my health. If you're thinking, "hey, I'm in a similar situation and would like to start moving forward, I just don't know where to go or how to get there", then I'll be your point you in the right direction:

Step 1. Gather resources (family, doctor, friends, google...).
Step 2. Make an Action Plan (set simple, measurable, achievable goals).
Step 3. Determine what obstacle lie in your way and brainstorm ways to overcome them (remember your resources).
Step 4. Wow, you've already taken 3 steps forward! Keep on walking and creating possibilities.

"Today, be more brilliant than anticipated, more courageous than expected, and more human than is commonly seen."
- Robin Sharma

Remember, life is about creating yourself.The only limitations are the ones we place on ourselves. And even though life brings many challenges, every hurdle in your way is in opportunity to create something powerful to jump over it. Never, ever give up. And never forget how powerful the tools of imagination and perseverance are. As children we naturally used those tools all the time. Can you believe that you ever learned how to walk or talk or tie your shoe laces? Those were mega accomplishments back then. It might be time we learn from the children we were and keep dreaming big. Maybe I'll never be an astronaut, but I heard somewhere that it's OK to dream big and fall short. This is because if you aim for the moon and don't quite make it, you'll still land among the stars, and that's pretty rad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment